Friday, January 14, 2011

A Short Story


When I was in high school, I had the privilege of going to Summit Ministries twice.  I loved hiking Red Mountain, walking into Manitou Springs, and visiting the Flying W Ranch just to name a few things.  Two weeks of intense Christian worldview training on all aspects of life was the highlight of each of those summers. Both years, they gave us a copy of this story. 
A young man searched his soul long and heard for the courage to as a young lady for his first date.  To his shock, joy, and surprise, she accepted.  When the big day came his anxiety spiraled. Desperate for advise, he asked his father,  "What should I do, Dad? Should I hold her hand? Should I kiss her?"
After careful thought the father asked, "well son, do you love this girl"?
"I don't know, Dad. This is only our first date."
"Well, son, do you think you will marry this girl?"
"No, I don't think so.  I'm just taking her on a little date."
"Do you suppose this girl may eventually marry someone else?"
"Yeah. I guess. She's a nice enough girl, I'm sure she'll find someone."
"Then you will probably end up marrying someone else, right?"
"Right."
"Do you suppose it is possible, son, that tonight someone else could be going out with the girl you will some day marry?"
"I suppose that is possible."
"Now let me get this right. Tonight you are going out with a girl who will be someone else's wife and someone else could be going out with the girl who will be your wife. Right?"
"Right"
"How would you like that boy going out with your future wife to treat her?"
After a long, thoughtful pause, "I don't want him to treat her at all.  I wish he would leave her at home!"
Trusting God Young or Rethinking Dating
I was a junior in high school when I read this for the first time.  From middle school on, I'd always thought that when the time was right, God would put me into my future husband's life.  Dating around was not something I needed to worry with. Honestly, it scared the bedickles out of me, and I knew that I was not old enough. Watching my friends change boy friends like I changed socks seemed wrong; although, I could not tell you why. I did not want the heartache of breaking up. Having lots of boys as friends was a much better deal.  Check out the My Story Page to read more.  (I'll post it soon.) Reading this story, from a young man's perspective, gave me hope. 

What are your thoughts? Girls, how would you want your future husband to treat a girl he was taking out?  Conversely, how have you allowed gents to treat you, if you have gone out on a date?  Would you want you future husband to see a HD-DVD recording of your time out with another guy?  Do you think these standards are too old-fashioned?  How does Proverbs 31:12 fit into your philosophy?  I wish you were here so we could chat!  Grab a cup of coffee, ponder this a bit, and leave me a message.  Thanks friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment